Dynamics GP Utilities hang on gray screen during year-end update

It was time for year-end payroll updates for Dynamics GP. I had applied the update for v. 18.281036 (KB4528419), and things were going fine until the GP Utilities tried to list the companies to be upgraded. Then everything hung up on this screen. Instead of a list of the companies to be upgraded, I got a dialog box with a gray background containing a single empty checkbox and a Next button.

I didn’t want to be too hasty. Sometimes the utilities might be slow to re-draw a screen, but SQL routines will still be chugging away in the background. I checked Task Manager, and it showed 10% CPU utilization for the task. I checked SQL Profiler, and there was plenty of activity in SQL. The thing was, it looked like the same activity over and over, and after about 90 minutes, I decided it was stuck in an endless loop.

After consulting with colleagues, we found another post that made reference to the Clear Companies script. That jogged my memory. Had I seem a reference to “TWO” in the SQL Profiler trace?

I ran a “Select * from SY01500” SQL query to fetch the list of GP companies, and sure enough, there was a reference to Fabrikam, the GP sample company. But the corresponding database named “TWO” did not exist in our SQL instance.

I ran the Clear Companies script, restored the databases, and tried the update again. This time it ran as expected.

401 Unauthorized Error When Accessing SharePoint Document Folder

Our Sharepoint/D365 Sales integration worked great, until one day it didn’t.

When trying to access a document folder, and also when trying to run the “Enable Server-Based SharePoint integration wizard, “we got the following error: “The remote server returned a 401 unauthorized error.”

401 error

This was odd, because Sharepoint had previously been configured successfully, and the user had been able to store documents under the entity for many months prior. The solution turned out to be entering the user’s email address on the System User form.

By default, the SharePoint Email Address field is not exposed on the System User main form. You will have to customize the form to expose the field, and then you can populate it.

Once you have customized the form, go to Settings -> Security -> Users. Open the user record, and enter the email address with which the user is logging into Dynamics 365 in the SharePoint Email Address field . Usually, but not always, this is the same address as in the Primary Email field. Save the user record.

Then test access to the Documents folder again. The change should take effect immediately, and you will be back in business.